Non-Fiction November Week Three: Ask/Be/Become the Expert

2017’s Nonfiction November is hosted by Katie at Doing Dewey, Lory at Emerald City Book Review, Julie at Julz Reads, and Kim at Sophisticated Dorkiness!

Three ways to join in this week! You can either share 3 or more books on a single topic that you have read and can recommend (be the expert), you can put the call out for good nonfiction on a specific topic that you have been dying to read (ask the expert), or you can create your own list of books on a topic that you’d like to read (become the expert).

Earlier this week, I posted about Tanya Talaga’s Seven Fallen Feathers: Racism, Death and Hard Truths in a Northern City. It’s a gripping story, bound to appeal to readers who appreciate elements of true crime, history, memoir, social justice and narrative-driven journalism.

The students whose deaths are at the heart of this book were attending an Indigenous-run high school in Thunder Bay, Ontario. To understand the importance of this educational opportunity (even with the challenges of students’ adjustments to city life and the embedded racism in the community), it’s useful to have some understanding of the residential school system, which was wielded like a weapon against Indigenous communities from the later nineteenth-century until 1996.

Good Reading

In the Stacks

• Maria Campbell’s Half-Breed (1973)

• Howard Adams’ Prison of Grass: Canada from a Native Point of View (1975)

• Mini Aodla Freeman’s Life Among the Qallunaat (1978)

• Lee Maracle’s Bobbi Lee: Indian Rebel (1990)

I have some newer books on the stacks right now, too (like Eddy Weetaltuk’s From the Tundra to the Trenches and Chelsea Vowel’s Indigenous Writes, if you’re curious), but I also want to make time for some of these classic texts as well.

Recommendations?

2017-11-13T17:57:45+00:00

10 Comments

1. iliana November 17, 2017 at 6:52 pm - Reply

This is certainly an area where I could stand to learn more about so thank you for all the book recommendations!

• Buried In Print November 20, 2017 at 9:17 am - Reply

Thanks, Iliana. I think you’d actually really enjoy Tanya Talaga’s book, given how much crime fiction you enjoy!

2. Kim (Sophisticated Dorkiness) November 17, 2017 at 6:28 pm - Reply

I think I saw your initial post about Seven Fallen Feathers, which sounds amazing. But also like a book that could definitely use context, so great list. Thanks for joining us this week!

• Buried In Print November 20, 2017 at 9:16 am - Reply

Thanks for hosting, Kim. Your selections about genetics made me think about how well I’ve done to avoid science-y reading so far this year!

3. Brona November 17, 2017 at 6:22 am - Reply

I’ve been reading about the racism, hard truths and cover ups surrounding the colonial history of our Indigenous peoples too. It’s not easy reading – the early English policies have left a disastrous mess for modern generations to muddle through across so many countries and continents. Sounds like the Canadian story is very similar.

• Buried In Print November 20, 2017 at 9:11 am - Reply

Apparently Canada is known internationally for its “success” with genocidal policies. South Africa apparently took a lesson from Canada. Now that’s a part of this country’s international reputation that doesn’t make it into history classes. Do let me know if there are particular titles that you have found useful and informative!

4. whisperinggums November 16, 2017 at 7:43 am - Reply

I don’t know any of these books, Buried, but most of them sound really interesting. I particularly like the sound of Seven Fallen Feathers – partly because of its hybrid nature. I rather like authors playing with form like this – if they pull it off.

5. annelogan17 November 15, 2017 at 10:06 pm - Reply

I read Maria Campbell’s Half Breed when I was in University taking an indigenous literature class. It was fabulous! (the book and the class!).

• Buried In Print November 20, 2017 at 9:02 am - Reply

Thanks for saying so: I’m looking forward to it even more now!

Say something bookish, or just say 'hey'