So many to choose from: this is just a list of possibilities, culled from titles that have been waiting for the Right Reading Time for awhile now.
Quite likely, as the reading year goes on, I will be drawn in other directions, but, in case whimsy lets me down, the list below might help:
(The links on the list of maybes are to the books’ GoodReads pages. The links on the list below are to my own thoughts on the books as I have read/posted about them.)
1. Alexis Wright’s Carpentaria (2006) AUSTRALIA Waanji
4. Aminatta Forna’s The Memory of Love (2010) AFRICA Sierra Leone
5. Bessie Head’s A Question of Power (1973) or Maru (1971) AFRICA Botswana
6. Tsitsi Dangarembga’s Nervous Conditions (1988) AFRICA Rhodesia
As soon as I start making a list like this, I realize that 10 books for a challenge like this is actually a small number. At first, I was thinking “ten?”, but now I’m thinking “only ten”.
Books actually read:
1. Alexis Wright’s Carpentaria (2006) AUSTRALIAN Waanji
2. Bessie Head’s Maru (1971) AFRICA Botswana
3. Chimamanda Ngozi Adichie Americanah (2013) AFRICA Nigeria
Incomplete, but these were great reads!