Most of what I read is Canlit, but I am easily distracted by new and shiny books and I forget to make time to read the classics.
The first time I joined the challenge hosted by The Book Mine Set, I read (and reread) all of Ethel Wilson’s works, along with some books about her. This year I’m eyeing Gabrielle Roy’s works.
- The Tin Flute (Bonheur d’occasion) (1945)
- Where Nests the Water Hen (La Petite Poule d’Eau) (1950)
- The Cashier (Alexandre Chenevert) (1954)
- Street of Riches (Rue Deschambault) (1955)
- The Hidden Mountain (La Montagne secrète) (1961)
- The Road Past Altamont (La Route d’Altamont) (1966)
- Windflower (La Rivière sans repos) (1970)
- Enchanted Summer (Cet été qui chantait) (1972)
- Garden in the Wind (Un jardin au bout du monde) (1975)
- My Cow Bossie (Ma vache Bossie) (1976)
- Children of My Heart (Ces Enfants de ma vie) (1977)
- The Fragile Lights of Earth (Fragiles lumières de la terre) (1978)
- Cliptail (Courte-Queue) (1979)
- What Are You Lonely For, Eveline? (De quoi t’ennuies-tu, Eveline?) (1982)
- Enchantment and Sorrow (La Détresse et l’enchantement) (1984)
- The Tortoiseshell and the Pekinese (L’Espagnole et le Pékinoise) (1987)
- My Dearest Sister: Letters to Bernadette, 1943-1970 (Ma chère petite soeur: Lettres a Bernadette) (1988)
I’ve read Windflower (about ten years ago) and Children of My Heart (when I was about 13 years old), but the rest will be fresh reads (and it’s been so long since I read these two, they might as well be fresh reads too).
Thanks to John for hosting this challenge every year, and I’m looking forward to seeing what other participants are reading.